The definition of abstinence is that you do not have sex. It can mean different things to different people. Some individuals will not have sexual intercourse but will participant in oral and anal sex. Whereas others do not participate in any form of sexual activity. Generally, it means the latter-there is no sexual activity at all. Abstinence prevents pregnancy as there is no sperm in the vagina to join with an egg. It is 100% effective method when done correctly.
Anybody can abstain, it does not matter your age, gender, sexuality, or the sexual experiences. You can become abstinent even if you’ve had sex before.
Benefits of Choosing Abstinence
- It allows couples to give each other sexual pleasure without causing pregnancy
- Increase trust and closeness between partners
- Help you better understand your body
- Prevents against S.T.Is
- It does not cost anything
- Free and available to all
- It is a good method at the beginning of a relationship to test emotions and feelings.
Disadvantages of choosing Abstinence
- Needs to be agreed between both partners in the relationship.
- If sexual intercourse does occur without contraception, there is a risk of pregnancy (HSE, 2016)
For more information on abstinence, click on any of the following links;