IT Sligo is offering a Sports Scholarship Scheme aimed to assist talented student athletes reach their sporting potential. If you are a keen sportsperson competing at an elite level, we want to hear from you.
Under the scheme, up to 20 new scholarships and bursaries are awarded each year. The Gold Scholarship Award is €1,750.
The closing date for entries is Friday 28th September, 2018. For application information, please contact the Student Support Services Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
About the Scheme
The Sports Scholarship Programme is designed to nurture talented sports people who are prepared to make the commitment to the IT Sligo sports clubs in their chosen discipline. If successful, you will also have to balance this with your studies.
This means that you will be expected to represent IT Sligo at third level competitions while satisfying academic requirements.
The overall aim of the scheme is to recruit, manage and develop players/athletes with exceptional ability so as to position IT Sligo as a premier centre of sporting performance.
Sports Scholarships are awarded for a period of one year, but may be renewed for up to a maximum of 4 years. Sport Travel Bursaries are also available to students competing at national and international levels.
You will also receive mentoring support, training guidance and other value-added support as a scholarship recipient.
Sports Scholarships – Eligibility Criteria
The Institute of Technology, Sligo believes in the excellence of sport and the support of young talented athletes who wish to pursue an academic career. The Institute offers Sports Scholarships in a wide range of sports to persons of outstanding sporting ability and athletic potential. Canvassing will disqualify.
- Sports Scholarships are intended for persons of outstanding sporting ability.
- Successful candidates must be registered as full time students at IT Sligo.
- Academic qualifications for a course must be achieved and students must be admitted through the normal Institute entry procedures.
- It is a condition of the award that the sports scholarship holder shall represent the Institute in his/her sport as a matter of priority and make a significant contribution to sport at the Institute.
- Clubs which offer scholarships must compete at a very high level and have to possess the necessary infrastructural components to facilitate a scholarship award.
- Scholarships must be applied for through a formal club structure with applicants being proposed by their club.
- Applicants will have already displayed their outstanding potential having participated at an advanced level e.g. National, International, Inter-provincial, representative leagues or inter-county level.
- In exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the committee candidates who are high achievers (i.e. a national or international recognised standard) may be considered for a Scholarship/Bursary (to be defined).
- Scholarship holders must apply for the renewal of scholarships on an annual basis (automatic renewal will not apply). Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of sports as per application. The scholarship is non-transferable, other than in exceptional circumstances.
- Awardees must declare all sponsorship and grants to allow the scholarship committee to investigate potential conflict of interest for IT Sligo.
- Successful applicants must complete a pre-screen form and participate in a fitness assessment.
- Successful candidates shall be free from injury at time of commencement of programme.
- Awardees shall agree to the” Terms and Conditions” of the scholarship, sign the “Letter of Agreement” and sign the “Code of Conduct”.